Civics and Citizenship
The Australian Government Civics and Citizenship Education program was designed to:
- promote knowledge and understanding of Australia's system of government among Australian students
- engender understanding and appreciation of Australia's democratic heritage and its political institutions
- equip Australian students with the skills, attitudes, values and dispositions to fully participate in the civic life of their communities and the nation.
The Civics and Citizenship Education website is the national portal for civics education. It contains resources, a database of information on Australian parliaments, activities and links for teachers, students and parents.
Education Services Australia (ESA) developed the Civics and Citizenship Education website for the Australian Government.
ESA also developed Discovering Democracy resources which include:
- civics and citizenship teaching and learning units for primary and secondary levels
- teacher reference texts
- interactive CDs, DVDs, posters and charts
- 'readers' and 'big books'
- assessment resources.
ESA currently hosts the Civics and Citizenship website
Image acknowledgement: Image of Parliament House, National Archives of Australia: A8746, KN6/10/87/3.